Attacks water bowl

Hi, my cat attacks her water bowl with most of the water ending up on the floor.  I have tried different type of bowls, including a water tower with the same result. Is this common?

• Olivia G.

It’s not uncommon for cats to play with their water bowls. Some cats are naturally curious and like to experiment with their surroundings, including their water source. They may be drawn to the movement of water or enjoy splashing it around. Here are a few possible solutions you can try:

Different water dishes: Experiment with different types of bowls. Some cats prefer shallow dishes or bowls with a larger surface area, which may help reduce splashing.

Cat water fountains: Cats are often attracted to running water, so a water fountain may encourage them to drink without splashing.

Placement: Try placing the water bowl on a towel or mat to absorb spills and keep the floor dry.

Interactive toys: If your cat enjoys playing with water, providing other types of interactive toys might redirect their interest away from the water bowl.

Supervise and correct: If you see your cat splashing excessively, gently discourage the behavior with a soft “no” and redirect their attention elsewhere.

Ensure water is fresh: Cats prefer fresh, clean water, so make sure the bowl is cleaned and refilled regularly.

Hopefully, one or more of these tips can help you manage your cat's water bowl antics! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.